Dr. Carlos Raul Barcelo
– Dr. Carlos Raul Barcelo
Interests, Techniques, and Training
Dr. Barcelo has proven expertise in the art and science of craniomaxillofacial surgery, with emphasis on aesthetic and reconstructive facial surgery, aesthetic and functional rhinology, clefts, and jaw surgery. In addition to his extensive graduate and post-graduate learning, he was also chosen for a three-year fellowship with the World Craniofacial Foundation at Medical City Dallas Hospital, under the direction of Dr. Kenneth Salyer.
In 2005, his unique aptitude for complex surgical problem solving in craniofacial cases, together with his desire to help children with craniofacial differences, earned him the invitation to become a partner at the International Craniofacial Institute. His expert and international experience in craniofacial surgery are now an important part of our practice.
Writing and Speaking
Dr. Barcelo has written and published nearly a dozen journal articles over the past 18 years, covering craniomaxillofacial surgical techniques and topics in the areas of craniosynostosis, distraction osteogenesis, treatment of rare syndromes, and bone generation. He has lectured at over a dozen national and international meetings, addressing topics such as Syndromal Craniosynostosis, Distraction Osteogenesis of the Facial Skeleton, and Compromised Airway in Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
Dr. Barcelo graduated with honors from the University of Guadalajara School of Medicine in 1980 and then went on to complete an extensive post-graduate education. This included three residency programs, covering emergency medicine, general surgery, and, in 1986, plastic and reconstructive surgery at the Jalisco Institute for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Guadalajara.
During that time, Dr. Barcelo also served as Academic Instructor of Surgical Techniques at the university’s School of Medicine. In 1988, he became board certified by the Mexican Board of Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery, joining the Jalisco Institute faculty as Assistant Professor. There, he directed the residency program from 1989 to 1993, followed by 10 years as Associate Professor to the institute’s program for General Reconstructive and Cleft Surgery.
- Member of the American Medical Association (AMA)
- Member of the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons (ASMS)
- Active Member of the International Society of Craniofacial Surgery (ISCFS)
- Member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ISAPS)
- Member of the International Confederation of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (IPRAS)
- Board-Certified Member of the Mexican Society of Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery (AMCPER)
- Member of the Western Mexican Society of Plastic Surgery (WMSPS); President 1991-1993
- Member of the JIPRS-José Guerrerosantos Educational Foundation; President 1999-2000
- Member and Former Secretary of the Mexican Board of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (MBPRS)
- Member of the Texas Medical Society (TMS) and Dallas County Medical Society (DCMS)
- Medical Advisor for the World Craniofacial Foundation