Dr. David G. Genecov
“Patients are, first and foremost, people. So that’s where my work begins: I treat every person with individual consideration to get a clear understanding of their specific circumstances. Once we’ve determined the appropriate treatment goals and methods, I apply my skills and experience to create both functional and aesthetic restoration. And as the field advances, I’m committed to ongoing improvement of my own skills as well, so that I can do whatever it takes to improve my patients’ quality of life.”
– Dr. David G. Genecov
Interests, Techniques, and Training
A native of Dallas, Dr. Genecov is an internationally recognized expert in craniofacial surgery. Cleft lip and palate repair, distraction osteogenesis, hypertelorism, and ear reconstruction are among his interests. Dr. Genecov specializes in craniomaxillofacial surgery for children and adults with congenital and acquired malformations. With extensive training and experience in plastic surgery, he is particularly adept at restoring/achieving both function and aesthetics for patients in his care.
While actively maintaining International Craniofacial Institute, Dr. Genecov is also involved in many research projects, including laryngopharyngeal reflux in infants with cleft lip and/or palate, mandibular distraction, bone regeneration, synthetic bone substitutes, and stem cell bone formation. He also works with the World Craniofacial Foundation and Smile Train to help children from all over the world reach their potential with the help of reconstructive surgery.
Writing and Speaking
Dr. Genecov lectures worldwide on all aspects of craniomaxillofacial and plastic/reconstructive surgery. Widely published in both national and international literature, Dr. Genecov has also authored four medical book chapters and has received numerous awards for academic excellence, surgical expertise, and philanthropy. Most notably, the Independent Consumer Research Council of America named him one of the country’s top surgeons for 2004-2009.
With an undergraduate degree from the Plan II Honors Program at the University of Texas, Dr. Genecov completed his medical training at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. Upon fulfilling his general surgery residency at West Virginia University, Dr. Genecov was board certified in general surgery and continued his education at Wake Forest University-Bowman Gray School of Medicine where he completed his plastic surgery residency. He then was selected for a fellowship at the International Craniofacial Institute (ICI) in Dallas, Texas, where he later joined the surgical team and now serves as ICI Director.
- Board-Certified Member and Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS)
- Board-Certified Member of the American Board of Surgery (ABS)
- Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons Delegate to the American Medical Association (AMA)
- Member of the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons (ASMS)
- Member of the International Society of Craniofacial Surgery (ISCFS)
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- Member of the Council of Health Care Advisors (HCA)
- Member of the Cleft Lip and Palate Craniofacial Association (CLPCA)
- Member of the Texas Medical Society (TMS) and Dallas County Medical Society (DCMS)